Wednesday 28 January 2015

Writers block? I had one for 4 years. (And this is what I did)

Hola!


If you must be reading this post, then clearly you are stuck in the worse possible scenario any writer can be in.

The dreaded writers block.

Oh no, it’s not just a scenario. It’s a way of living. You are stuck in this little bubble of empty air, with a transparent wall of ideas trying to break into your bubble, but they just can’t get in.

You can faintly see these ideas, they are within your reach. You can nearly taste the sentences of your next story/ blog post on your lips.  The only thing stopping it is this thin wall which you just can’t crumble.

The funny part of it all is, you can write all the mandate things in life; Bills, homework, essays, resumes, etc. But when it comes down to the part when you write for yourself, you draw a complete blank.

And you ask yourself. What just happened?

Now if writing to you is a good as breathing then I am sure you can feel what I am saying. If it isn’t, then you must be just mentally tired and facing something like ‘performance pressure’. Where you are forced to write something so good, it blows the readers socks off. Or in my case, fluffy slippers.

And that’s normal.

But if you are unable to write something so beautiful, like you have left a part of your soul (woah there, Harry Potter fans. A tiny fragment, hardly noticeable) into your work then… you have the sickness.

The I-Can’t-Write-For-Shells-Of-A-Nut-Forget-The-Peanuts sickness.

But hold on! Before you turn your head down in dismay and hopelessness, let me tell you (like many) that I have found a cure!

A cure so simple, you may just punch the screen of your PC.

You Just Have to Write Some More.

Yes, you heard me. You just have to write so much that your fingers have developed an everlasting bond with your pen/keyboard. Anything, everything, sensible or senseless, you just need to write and write and make an effort to write even when you feel like you can’t.

Because that is the only way you will be able to flush out the trash and get down to the good stuff. 
Like the layers of a double chocolate disk ice cream cone. No one really likes the ice cream, everyone just wants the chocolate frozen at the bottom of the waffle cone.

So write about everything under the milky way (sorry Sun, you aren't big enough for this problem) and see your way through to a better foundation of writing.

And you also have to make sure you write on different platforms.

Usually, we get so accustomed to writing on a computer, or in a notebook, thinking anywhere else seems odd and out of place. And that is exactly what you should try for! The uncomfortable situation is what you need to probe your brain to fit into. Try something new. 

“Hey Brain”
“Yeah?”
“I don’t feel like writing on my laptop today, do you remember how to hold a pen?”

Trust me, your brain will comply.

The two things above are exactly what I am doing right now.

I started this blog to get out of my writers block. (Check)
No joke, I write things on paper, edit them, and then type it out on a computer- so not I am forcing my brain to directly write using a keyboard without the use of stationary. (Check, with itchy fingers)

And now to test and see if my post actually does make sense to pass it off as a slow recovery from a writer’s block. (Pending…)

Good things to you fellow solution seekers!  


Image from Google. 

No comments:

Post a Comment